Week One, Day Three
Well, we started schoolwork this week. And of course, as always, there were a number of last minute "revisions" to the program. I reluctantly decided to drop Hiawatha's song for the fall. I really wanted to combine a block on nature and Form Drawing, and I couldn't see how Hiawatha was going to get us outside. So I spent a week writing a story about three children and their parents who live in a tree stump. They have all sorts of adventures in their new environment, one is choleric, one sanguine, one slightly melancholic, they meet lots of neighborhood creatures and learn how to get ready for winter. Oldest seems to love the story, Youngest wants to find these new friends. She keeps asking me just where they live and when we can see them.
So yesterday we started with a short circle which included some OT work for our sensory systems, some beanbag skills and some mental math. Then we went outside with a couple of dollhouse dolls. I told the girls the story, and then we went around the yard looking at it the way a small creature would. Just how big is that tomato plant? Answer: Huuuuge, mom! And look how we can hide these dolls under the flowers and weeds. You would never find them! What a great place to hide! (Note to self: thou shalt weed more often). Then, just of kicks, we climbed to the top of the swingset. Now how big are the tomato plants? The black-eyed-susans? That bird over there?
The point of all this was just to get them outside and observing. Awakening possibilities in their imagination, all the things that could be hiding that we son't see... They loved it.
After our observations were done, we moved to the driveway. Youngest immediately began drawing chalk pictures on the blacktop, while oldest and I talked about how one might draw the shape of different trees in chalk. Oldest came up with some wonderful (theatrical!) gestures, and we finally settled on a shape. I then did a vertical mirror drawing with her, first showing it int he air, then drawing it on the driveway. We also came up with representations for grass and a simple three-petaled clover/flower shape.
When we were done coming up with our shapes, we moved inside, lit our candle, and started working on our big pads of practice paper. Observing Oldest once again brought home just how hard this is to do! She did quite well with our tree form, but working on the "grass" (alternating tall and short lines) took a lot of effort. I don't think I have ever seen her focus and work so hard. And she did beautifully. We also practiced the "clover" shape a few times, decided that we would come back to it another time (spring?) and copied the line form for our Main Lesson Book.
Then I set the girls to playing with Cuisinaire rods and prepared lunmch. The afternoon was spent at a friend's house, picking and eating figs, playing games and funning through the sprinkler.
Oldest and I really needed this year to get off to a good start. She needs more authority from me, which I am so much better prepared to give her this year, as I actually know what I am doing and why I am doing it! Circle time was delicious as she eagerly followed my lead. I am still learning about the balance between challenging and overwhelming her, but I have a good feeling about it all...
And look, it's raining outside. This is perfect because today our story deals with water forms. After that we'll be going to collect some more Milkweed for the Monarch caterpillars we are raising, and then on to our first ever homegrown German lesson this afternoon.
The big lesson to me has been (no surprise here) that Adult work really helps. This year I am mentally prepared as I've written the story, drawn the forms, painted the paintings and implemented a strong rhythm for myself. Monday we do laundry , homeschooling coop and baking. Tuesday we clean our bedrooms, do Form Drawing and handwork. Wednesday is German, Girl Scouts and my Foundation Studies class. Thursday we clean the kitchen and have a standing playdate in the afternoon. Friday we paint and do pottery after lunch. I know this sounds like a full week (and it is), but most of our chores and school related work are out of the way by noon, so we actually have two afternoons free and Wednesday activities are only every other week. Saturday is our one unformed day, and Sunday is family time.
I am excited and curious where this year will take us.

2 Comments:
I've been hopping from homeschool blog to homeschool blog and have just hopped onto yours. What you're sounds like a hugely fun challenge. I wish you and your kids all success.
Thank you for the well wishes. Yes, some days we have huge amounts of fun, and some days I want to pull my hair out and wonder why I do it all... I truly love the challenge of getting to know these little people I've been entrusted with, seeing where they go, what they need, how to feed their bodies and souls with what they need. It is such an honor. Now I have to go check out your book!
Post a Comment
<< Home