Friday, June 09, 2006

I'm featured! DO something!

Lucie over at the Wonder Ranch has made this her featured Family Site of the Month for June. Now that I've discovered this I feel all nervous! I have to write something! I have to show you all how fabulous homeschooling is! And WALDORF homeschooling in particular! Only I have a cold and we're all miserable and my kids are watching TV right now. Which they NEVER usually do, I promise!

So I'll just tell you all the wonderful things we've been up to this week. This way I can pretend like we actually currently have a rhythm to our day and that my children are learning something. Hmm lets see... Monday Park Day with the homeschool coop. While I can't claim to know exactly what they were all up to, I can tell you that lots of imaginative and cooperative games were played, involving running, digging, burying friends in sand and sneaking off to the part of the playground that's off-limits because we can't see it. Nevermind that we never actually noticed that the kids had gone "missing" when they were over there - cough, cough.

Tuesday began with a dentist appointment, followed by an hours drive to an organic farm where I picked several gallons of strawberries while my kids celebrated being reunited with a long lost friend and baked "bread" (dirt, seeds, water) for the birds. In the car on the way home we made up our own versions of "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands." My favorite line was Youngest's: "If you're happy and you're a highway say HI!" Oh, and also on Tuesday I got to learn how to cook in an open hearth over at the Colonial Farm. We made roast chicken, onion soup, corn pudding, sweet potatoes, fish on a plank and apple fritters. And of course we got to eat it all! Yay!

Wednesday the kids played on and around their swingset all morning, making mud pies and cookies, while I processed strawberries. Then we went to pick up our order of pastured meat at a friend's house which led to a short impromptu playdate. After that we ran a couple of errands and the kids spent the rest of the day working on their mud projects.

Thursday we woke up feeling yucky, so we spent most of the day doing not much of anything at all. The kids went outside for a bit and a lot of napping occurred. Today is very similar, except that we baked a strawbrry pie in the morning (Oldest read the recipe to us and learned that you actually have to follow what it says, not just throw everything in a bowl and declare it done) and the kids are watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang this afternoon.

So there we are! Not bad for a completely unplanned week with colds. Only I really have to start planning a bit more for what we'll be doing this summer. I want to find more stories to tell the kids, get back into watercolor painting and crafts. Oldest wants to sew a raffia basket, and I have this idea of making napkins with leaf prints to be saved for holiday presents for the family... and there's camp to plan for and next year...

I think I'll go take another nap! I'm all worn out from the excitement!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home