Back to the Drawing Board...
Well, following another 6 weeks of diagnostic testing which included a home visit with the psychologist and a questionnaire, we are assured that Oldest does not have
Asperger's. Her new diagnosis appears to be the favorite of pediatricians nationwide: ADHD. We did a lot of questioning, but yep, it looks to fit. Now the big question becomes to medicate or not to medicate? I made it clear to the psychologist that I wasn't interested in merely treating symptoms, as long as there is even a slight possibility that we could be working to address the causes. Here begins another round of consulting with several rounds of (expensive! Ouch!) specialists who haven't been roped in by pharmaceutical companies.
I have to say though that there is something deeply satisfying when you look at the test results and realize that most of the behaviors in Oldest that we struggle with are WAY outside the norm. I am realizing that I have much more patience than I give myself credit for. Heavens, what would I do with two "NORMAL" children?
And now to the world of Youngest who told me this news today:
"Mommy, I have a friend. She lives in - what is that place called?- ah yeah, she lives in Alaska. Her name is Laura and she has a lot of warm clothes. And I have a friend Mary who also lives in Alaska and she also has a lot of warm clothes. And they live in a house with their Ma and their Pa who also have a lot of warm clothes. And I want to be a kitty when I grow up."
To which I can only say: "Whoa!"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home