The good stuff
I had been thinking all day how 2006 just HAS to be better as the suckitude that has been 2005 needs to end. Now. Some of the highlights of this year included: Youngest's open heart surgery and very slow recovery; Oldest's deterioration into behavioral nightmares; a car accident, a dangerous and mentally ill neighbor who is necessitating a move in the near future; broken furnace... okay, I'll stop there because it's tedious.
So I decided that over our last dinner of the year we'd list what was good about 2005. I am amazed how long the list is. It appears that in between all the suckitude, we actually had good times! Who knew! So behold a partial list of reasons why I haven't jumped off a bridge yet:
Oldest learned to bike without training wheels;
Florida vacation;
Husband turned 40 and got to go ice climbing;
I went for a yoga weekend with two good friends;
We got to go to the family home in the Berkshires for 10 days;
Youngest recovered beautifully from her surgery and is the picture of health;
I fell in love with pottery;
Husband completed two triathlons;
One of my best friends from long ago visited;
Nine years of marriage (happy anniversary and a day, hon!);
Love was shared.
I had to include the last point because it came from Oldest. I am thrilled that my melancholic child, the one who struggles so much every day, gets that this chaotic, imperfect, kooky family is a place of love. Now if there is one thing I want to keep for the next year, that is it. May we never forget that in spite of it all, there is family. There is love. We are blessed.
Happy New Year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home