Monday, June 18, 2007

an update and pondering diversity

First of all, thanks to all of you who have commented on my last post, both online and in "real time." With a little time to reflect on the situation, it has become clear that the school is quite supportive of my position. They're in the unfortunate situation of having to take these kinds of claims seriously, while they also know that it's quite a bizarre statement to make, really. So I wait and I'll have lunch with the mother of the child whom I supposedly made racial slurs about. It is really unsettling to me that a statement I made could have gotten misconstrued to the point where an innocent family got hurt by it. So the mom and I will have lunch and get to know each other a little better, and try to see what develops.

As far as my job interview and the position at the school go, I feel it is completely out of my hands at this point. I've been told I'm the person they really want to hire, so I feel that the ball is in the school's court. I'll be talking to the school this week to see how we go from here. I'm quite at peace with this, I have great respect for the two people at the school whose hands this is in, and I truly feel that what is meant to happen will happen, and it will be for the best.

This whole episode, as painful as it has been, has also been quite instructive. Not only about the distance one needs to keep with students and their parents when working in a school, but about the whole "debate" (if one can call it that) on diversity in America. Clearly that word set off something very emotional in someone, and I'm not sure that this isn't common. As I've spoken with friends on this issue, I'm led to understand that in America, ethnicity, race, diversity etc. is mostly dealt with by not being spoken about. The implication appears to be that if you speak of it, you're judging someone by their skin color, ethnic background etc. Consequently, you show your lack of prejudice by ignoring people's racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds. I'd love to hear other people's views on this, does that cover it? Am I way off base?

This is where my multi-cultural upbringing may be throwing me a bit of a curve-ball. In other places I've lived, acknowledging people's differences was quite common, not as a measure of judgement of a person's worth, but as a part of their story, a way to get to know them and about their background and family. An effort to understand people, to connect, and ultimately to celebrate how we are all so very different. And how we are all so much the same.

Trying to put this behind me in a healthy way. I hope I'm succeeding.

On a completely different note, we had the best evening as a family. We made dinner together, everyone pitched in, and then we had an impromptu almost-midsummer music performance. And to top it all off, the kids went to bed without protest. So life is good.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I know this is where you and your girls should be - it will shake out. Tammi

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Aleisha said...

I'm just back to reading the blogs and read of your recent troubles. I'm so sorry that you must weather this storm. I think you are right about how it is the cultureal norm in American to show lack of prejudice by not commenting, or pretending not to notice. Ours is a multi-racial, non-traditional two mom family and it's interesting how often we do not get comments. In fact the non-comments feel alternately like a relief and like anxiety - it's strange. I've run into this not-talking-about-it issue within the homeschool community especially in regard to talking about racial and orientation issues with our kids. There is a firm culture of don't discuss even if the kids bring it up. It can feel very confusing. Good luck with all this.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I think the answer is yes and no.
It really depends on the time and the place and the people involved.

But I , do think you are onto something that is commonly a part of the culture in the US. I spend a number of years in a Jewish-Catholic dialogue group. In this group many members, especially those who were Catholic, and therefore part of the "majority culture" where we live, went to great lengths to try to blurr and erase any differences between Jews and Christians, and Catholics in particular. Which is really kind of laughable, if you get what I mean. The funny thing is that it got to a point where some of us Jews were feeling a little like our identity was being taken from us.
Hmmm. I think I'll have to blog about this in more depth!

I am glad that you have clarified the position of the school's administration on this, though. That must be comforting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home