Wednesday, February 28, 2007

back to the future?

As some of you may know, I grew up all over the world. I came to this country in 1993 to start grad school. I owned the contents of one suitcase. I thought I'd be here for a couple of years before moving to South Africa. Umm, yeah, not so much.

Anyway, I spent the last two years of high school in England, then went to college there. I became good friends with S., a Dutch woman who grew up outside Denver. After college, our ways parted some. I left for Africa, she took a job in Brussels. We haven't been in touch regularly, but every once in a while I'd get an email that looked like this: "I'm coming to the States next week, and I'll be stopping by. Will you be busy on Wednesday?" Of course I made sure never to be busy when she came. We'd hang out for a couple of days, then she was off again and I wouldn't hear a thing until a couple years or so later. Every time we got together, it was as if we'd never been apart. Our friendship is a bit like that old sweater I love to wear: just so comfortable, you slip right in and feel at home.

Last week I got this email: "I was wondering if I can stay with you for a few days in April. I just accepted a job in Washington, DC and I need a place to sleep while I find a flat."

Wow. I am so excited! For the first time in over 15 years I'll have someone near me who has known me most of my life. Someone who can look at my life and explain to me how in her view it all fits together. Someone who remembers just why I shouldn't be left too near a bottle of tequila for too long. Someone who understands that I'm not really from here, that there will always be things about living in this country that are curious or funny or strange to me. Someone who remembers who I was before Husband and children. I cannot wait.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home